Friday, November 23, 2012

Review- Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins


Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Book Blurb: 

My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plains--except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay--no matter what the personal cost.

Review: I just simply can't write a thorough review for this book. The innocent baby-blue cover definitely fooled me into believing that the story might be less violent this time, but of course this story was anything but. Only Suzanne Collins can write something so...horrifying, sick, violent and torturous and still make the readers love it like anything. To say that Mockingjay was more violent than the previous two books in this series is an understatement.

To be honest, I absolutely hated this book. First Collins makes us love all the characters from the previous books, and then what does she do? Kill most of them in the most painful manner imaginable. I can't remember the last time any book made my heart break so many times. And yet here I am, giving this twisted story a five stars. Why? Just because Suzanne Collins is awesome. She wrote a story that might actually turn into reality in our future. So yeah, the story seemed VERY real to me. This book was purposely made this painful, so that it actually struck a chord in the reader's heart. To make them think that something like this can actually happen to the future generations.

I don't think I would like to read this book ever, ever again, and I would not recommend it to soft-hearted people. Or any people for that matter. But yes, if you think you can handle the emotional roller-coaster this book is, I'll say go for it. Just don't tell me I didn't warn you, when you end up crying or depressed after you finish it. Yep, I'm all for writing a cruel semi-review for a cruel book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Post one here, and I'll definitely reply back. :D