Friday, October 12, 2012

Review- Cloaked by Alex Flinn


Cloaked by Alex Flinn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Summary:  I’m not your average hero. I actually wasn’t your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.

It all started with the curse. And the frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.

There wasn’t a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I’ve ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.

Don’t believe me? I didn’t believe it either. But you’ll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got CLOAKED.


My Review:  Cloaked was an OK read for me. Alex Flinn did a great job in retelling some of the most popular fairy tales we have been reading and listening from our childhoods but somehow I just couldn't find myself being thoroughly engrossed in the story. Nonetheless, it was a readable book which I'm sure many people would enjoy.

The story was well executed but there was nothing worth getting excited over. It was like watching that funny commercial which is supposed to be funny and you do like it but are still unable to laugh. Or smile.

The action sequences were many a times boring. Johnny's adventures didn't give me the thrill you expect when you read an adventurous novel. Maybe it was the slow pace of the story, or maybe it was the fact that I just couldn't get wholly involved with the story.

The main protagonist, Johnny was a nice, sweet lad. I can't say I absolutely loved him but his POV was nicely written by the author. I just wish he wasn't so...clueless and dumb at times. It's the same problem I many a times have with the female protagonists of the story but thankfully, in this one, I really liked MEg. She was confident, sure and much more interesting than Johnny. They still made a cute pair though. :)

Overall, Cloaked was a nice, steady-paced book with some really great characters. It had a slow pace but there were some scenes which were hilarious and I mainly liked it for the wonderful punch lines. Many parts had a magical feel to them but not enough to keep my interest throughout the story. So yeah, it's definitely a solid 3 stars from me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Post one here, and I'll definitely reply back. :D