Sunday, September 9, 2012

ARC Review- Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire


Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

 Summary: The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.
 An e-ARC of this book has been provided to me by the publisher.

My review: I really don't know what opt write about this book. My views are still pretty conflicted on whether I loved it or absolutely hate it. It's just that there were so many parts that were ridiculously dumb at times and other parts which were so sweet, I still have my "Awwwwww" moments when I remember them.

No matter how hard I tried, I still couldn't bring myself to like either Abby or Travis. Initially, yes they seemed interesting but as the story moved on, I couldn't help but wonder what the hell is wrong with these two. Travis seemed obsessed with Abby, overly obsessed at times and that was quite disturbing. There were many incidents in which Travis acted...abnormally and quite frankly, like a freaking insane person and yet Abby just dumbly got over it for whatever reasons.
Also, tattooing the girl's name and professing his eternal love for her in the second or third week of their relationship is so not cool. Okay, I get it that they were thoroughly in love with each other but seriously?
And I don't even want to begin about what I thought of them marrying and already talking about kids when they hadn't even graduated from college!! That's just plain freaky. No offense, Miley Cyrus.

Despite all this, I still can't deny that fact that this book was thoroughly engrossing. Yes, there were many holes in the story and in the end the message that this book gave (according to me) was not at all right. But still, I liked the writing style, certain jokes that were amusing and some scenes where I could actually see myself connecting with the female protagonist. There were times when I even warmed up to Travis, though that was pretty rare. I really, really liked Abby's best friend America who was supportive, protective and damn perfect as far as best friends go. I guess she was the only character in the book that remained a constant favorite of mine throughout the story.

Overall, I had equal amounts of love-hate feelings while reading this book and thus I'm gonna stick with 3 stars. I wouldn't recommend this to the YA readers as even though the female protagonist is 19, this book should still be shelved in Adult romance or something like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Post one here, and I'll definitely reply back. :D