Monday, July 30, 2012

Review- A Chance For Charity- S.L. Baum


A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones)A Chance for Charity by S.L. Baum
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A Chance For Charity is about Charity, who's an immortal. She lives with her made-up uncle and aunt who're also immortals. Several years ago, Charity was in love with a guy named Roger who died in a war. The death of her beau left Charity heart-broken, so much so, that she even tried to commit suicide but failed again and again since she was immortal and any injury automatically healed supernaturally fast.
That was when Charity got to know that she was supernatural, with the help of her then-neighbors James and Catherine. After that incident James and Catherine took Charity under their wings (since she was an orphan) and became Charity's uncle and aunt.
Years pass by, and the little family keeps on moving from one town to another, changing their identities with each shift. Why, you ask? Well, everything isn't so easy in the paranormal world. There are hunters aka Lords, a family who thinks that the immortals are evil and need to be wiped off from the face of the earth. And so, the immortals need to be extra careful and in no way ever come across these hunters.

So, like that the Johnstons family reaches Telluride, where for the first time in a very long time, Charity finds herself finally making some friends. She also meets gorgeous Lincoln aka Link there and instantly finds herself attracted to him. The story then goes on as Charity introduces her paranormal world to Link and how they, along with Charity's family protect themselves form the threat that always looms above them-The Lords/Hunters.

Throughout the story, I couldn't decide whether I wanted to love this book or immediately delete it from my kindle. The starting was fabulous-I loved it. But as it got nearer to the end, somehow the story started losing its charm. Many dialogues were repeated and even though I'm pretty sure the author had done it purposely, I still can't say I liked that part very much.
Even though, I really, really liked Charity and Link's relationship, I couldn't help but roll my eyes when they so suddenly shifted from "magnetic pull/attraction like no other" to "God, I love you!". Aside from this, I liked almost everything else in this book, from the cover to the nicely thought of plot.
The idea of immortals and the paranormal world in this book wasn't entirely new but still fun and good to read.

I really liked Charity's character as she had strength along with awesome looks and pretty good wits. There was no forced love-triangle (yay!) and all the characters were interesting to read about.

Overall, I enjoyed reading A Chance For Charity and maybe I'll continue the series. Or maybe not. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Post one here, and I'll definitely reply back. :D